Belgium boss Roberto Martinez handed two-year contract extension ahead of World Cup
- Roberto Martinez has extended his stay as Belgium boss until 2020
- The former Everton manager will reportedly continue to earn around €1million
- Assistants Graeme Jones and Richard Evans have also signed new contracts
- Martinez is due to announce his final 23-man squad for Russia next week
The Belgian Football Association (KBVB) have agreed to extend the contract of the national coach Roberto Martinez by two years until 2020.
The KBVB said in a statement on Friday that they had confidence in the Spaniard after he steered Belgium to the World Cup with nine wins and one draw.
Martinez, who previously managed Swansea, Wigan and Everton, will name his 23-man World Cup squad on Monday.
Roberto Martinez, centre, has signed a contract extension with Belgium before the World Cup
The KBVB added that the contract was extended for two years under the same conditions as when signed in 2016, without giving details. Belgian media have said Martinez was earning €1million (£874,352) per year.
His assistants, Graeme Jones and Richard Evans, have also signed up for a further two years. There was no news about former France striker Thierry Henry, who has also been working as an assistant to Martinez.
Belgium were drawn in Group G for Russia 2018, where they will play Panama and Tunisia before facing England in the final group game.
Martinez will reportedly continue to earn the same salary – approximately €1million per year